This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A St. George woman who was shot after leading police on a high-speed chase in a stolen police vehicle last week wanted officers to kill her, according to criminal charges filed Wednesday.

Joann Ann Boone, 48, was charged Wednesday in 5th District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, carrying a concealed weapon and criminal mischief, all second-degree felonies. She also was charged with failure to stop at command of police and possession or use of a controlled substance, both third-degree felonies.

Boone was arrested by St. George police on Nov. 19 on a warrant out of Hurricane for possessing burglary tools, as well as two no-bail arrest warrants for parole violations issued by Nevada.

Boone was searched before she was placed in a K-9 police SUV, according to a county attorney investigator, but when the officer pulled into the Washington County jail parking lot in Hurricane and opened the door, she emerged with a firearm in her hands, which were still handcuffed behind her back.

According to charges, the officer had already placed his gun in the rear of his vehicle, likely in preparation for entering the jail. When Boone pulled her weapon — which she later told officers she had concealed inside her pants — the officer retreated to the back of the SUV, retrieved his gun and took cover behind another vehicle.

Boone was able to move her cuffed hands in front of her, then got in the driver's seat, where the keys were still in the ignition. She then sped through an entrance door, causing $5,000 in damage, police said.

Boone drove into La Verkin, then south on Interstate 15, her speed topping 100 mph, according to court documents. A UHP trooper spread road spikes that blew out the tires on the vehicle. But Boone continued onto State Road 9 and into Hurricane again, screeching to a stop at a gas station.

Boone allegedly exited the vehicle with firearm in hand. She was shot in the hip by a Washington County deputy after making "several evasive movements" and refusing to drop the gun, according to charges.

A bag of methamphetamine weighing 30.2 grams was found when Boone was re-arrested, charges state.

Boone told investigators that she wanted the officers to kill her, according to charges.

After undergoing surgery at Dixie Regional Medical Center, Boone made her initial appearance in court on Wednesday. She is scheduled to return to court Dec. 3.

Utah court records show Boone has a criminal record stretching back more than 12 years that includes felony convictions for drug possession, theft, forgery burglary and retail theft. In 1999 and 2004, Boone was sentenced to one-to-15-year terms at the Utah State Prison.

Twitter: @jm_miller

comments powered by Disqus