Home » News
Home » News

Fire causes $100,000 in damage to Bountiful home

Published November 30, 2012 3:00 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A garage fire at a Bountiful home caused an estimated $100,000 in damage Thursday.

South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett said the fire was sparked around 7 p.m. at a home at 3013 S. 100 West. Bassett said an appliance tripped the breaker in the home, and when the three residents went to examine it, they smelled smoke. They searched the home until one resident opened the door to the garage and found it engulfed in flames.

All three residents were able to get out of the house uninjured.

Bassett said 19 firefighters doused the blaze, which was confined to the garage. Because of the volume of burned items stored in the garage and high winds, a crew was kept overnight to monitor flare-ups.

On Friday, Bassett said investigators began looking into how the fire started but said the work has been very time consuming because of the amount of storage items in the garage.

The residents were not able to return Friday, and Bassett said they won't be able to move back in until the wiring in the garage area is isolated from the rest of the house.


Twitter: @jm_miller




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus