Home » News
Home » News

Early morning Salt Lake City fire leaves 3 homeless

Published December 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Probe • Faulty wiring blamed for flames erupting in attic.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire early Thursday heavily damaged a house in southwest Salt Lake City and left three people homeless.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the blaze at 853 W. Montague Ave. (935 South) was reported at 2:30 a.m. Old faulty wiring was blamed for the fire, believed to have started in the one-story home's attic.

"Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames," Asay said. "Once crews entered the house they quickly had the fire under control [and] firefighters kept the fire from spreading away from the attic to other parts of the house."

It took less than five minutes for crews to respond to the 911 call. In all, 30 firefighters battled the flames.

The Utah chapter of the American Red Cross was providing the three residents of the home with temporary food, shelter and clothing.

An estimate of the cost of the damage was not immediately determined.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus