Home » News
Home » News

Trial rescheduled in Roy double murder

Published January 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Courts • Jeremy Valdes is accused of killing a Roy mother and son in 2009.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

After flip-flopping on firing his public defenders, the trial for a man accused of killing a Roy mother and son more than three years ago is back on track.

Jeremy Valdes, 36, is now set for trial in September in 2nd District Court in the deaths of Matthew Roddy, 30, and Pamela Knight Jeffries, 53.

On Nov. 25, 2009, Valdes allegedly fatally stabbed Roddy during an argument about stolen prescription drugs. Police believe Valdes then beat Jeffries, Roddy's mother, before leaving her unconscious with a plastic trash bag around her head and stuffing her and Roddy into a closet.

Valdes is charged with two counts of aggravated murder, which is punishable by death. He also has been charged with joyriding, obstructing justice and two counts of abuse or desecration a human body, all third degree felonies.

Miranda Statler, Valdes' girlfriend, also was charged with helping stuff the bodies in a closet, stealing Roddy's car and lying to police, but did not face murder charges. She has been sentenced to spend up to 20 years in prison for her crimes.

Valdes was originally set to go to trial on Jan. 8, but in early December, Valdes decided he wanted to fire his public defenders and represent himself during the trial.

However, he'd had a change of heart by Dec. 18, when he filed a motion withdrawing his request for new counsel or to represent himself.

Valdes has attempted to fire his court-appointed counsel on more than one occasion. In August, he filed a similar motion asking for new lawyers, but attorney Randall Marshall said at that time they were working through Valdes' concerns.

In November, Valdes' mother, Marilee Valdes, wrote to Judge Mark DeCaria that attorneys appointed to represent her son were not able to get promised expert witnesses and were not thoroughly interviewing witnesses.

A six-week trial is set to begin Sept. 27.


Twitter: @jm_miller






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus