gets new publisher
Charles Horton III has been named publisher of the Standard-Examiner newspaper in Ogden. He replaces Lee Carter, who retired Dec. 1. Horton, 37, will start work March 18. Horton is joining the Standard-Examiner from the Kitsap Sun in Kitsap, Wash., where he served as publisher since 2009.
Stoel Rives opens
in Washington D.C.
Stoel Rives LLP, a law firm with offices in Salt Lake City, has opened a satellite office in Washington, D.C. The new office is headed by Greg Jenner, a partner and former deputy assistant secretary for tax policy at the U.S. Treasury.
Liberty Tax opens
Liberty Tax Service has opened an office in Bountiful at 320 W. 500 South, suite D. A grand opening featuring free tax advice, food and a bounce house will be held Feb. 18, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Anyone who brings two non-perishable food items for the Bountiful Community Food Pantry will get $50 off tax preparation fees.
Visa sees profits
jump in quarter
Visa's net income jumped 25 percent in the last three months of 2012 as consumers racked up more credit card debt and used their debit cards more often. The company earned $1.3 billion, or $1.93 per share, in the three months ended Dec. 31, compared with net income of $1.03 billion, or $1.49 per share, a year earlier.
News Corp., owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch, cut its annual forecast for operating income to grow by a "mid- to high single digit" percentage, down from the "high single- to low double-digit" percentage it predicted in November. The weaker outlook offset an otherwise upbeat quarter through December, with adjusted earnings of 44 cents per share on revenue of $9.43 billion.
Fire officials in Incheon, South Korea, said a man suffered burns after the battery from a Samsung smartphone caught fire in his trouser pocket. Officials said the lithium-ion battery was not in the phone when it caught fire. The man suffered second degree burns and a one-inch wound on his thigh. It is the second time in a year that a Samsung smartphone battery in South Korea in known to have caught fire.