Home » News
Home » News


Published February 10, 2013 7:54 pm

ECHL • Utah comes out flat in its third game in 48 hours.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Valley City • The Utah Grizzlies had a ready-made excuse for a flat, lifeless performance Sunday.

They certainly used it.

Playing their third game in 48 hours against Idaho, the Grizzlies mostly stood and watched as the Steelheads rolled to a 6-0 victory at the Maverik Center.

Utah was shut out for only the second time this season, the other time being Oct. 20 at Alaska.

This game turned when Idaho scored three goals during a seven-minute stretch of the second period, leaving coach Kevin Colley speechless.

"I'm probably going to have to keep my comments to myself right now," he said. "I don't even know where to begin. But it's my job to find a solution."

The Grizzlies lost for the seventh time in 11 games after Idaho's Tristan King scored twice and assisted three times before a matinee crowd of 2,421.

"I haven't been stomped like this in five years as a coach, to be honest with you," said Colley.

He admitted being frustrated "with a group that has quite a bit of potential, I think, but isn't close to competing the way I envision. It's sad."

Utah actually played decently in the opening minutes before taking two back-to-back penalties.

First, Berkley Scott was called for interfering with Idaho goalie Josh Robinson. Forty-one seconds later, Colin Vock was called for cross checking during a scrum in front of Grizz goaltender Shane Owen.

The Steelheads took advantage of their 5-on-3 when Tyler Gron scored with 7:08 remaining in the first period.

It was downhill from there.

Idaho started the second period on another power play, and just after it expired, the Steelheads made it 2-0 on Matt Case's blast from the left face-off circle.

With 14:56 left in the period, King gave Idaho a 3-0 lead. Then, David Toews capped the blitz on a deflection with 10:40 remaining in the period. —

Steelheads 6, Grizzlies 0

R Tristan King scores two goals as Idaho rolls to an easy victory.

• The Steelheads score three goals during a seven-minute stretch of the second period.

• The punchless Grizzlies are shut out for only the second time this season.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus