Home » News
Home » News

Toddler dies in eastern Utah trailer fire

Published February 20, 2013 8:55 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 2-year-old child died Tuesday when flames destroyed a camp trailer in the eastern Utah community of Ballard.

Makaella Lee Hardman and her parents had been living in the trailer in the backyard of her grandparents' house at 509 N. 1500 East. Her grandfather, Tony Hardman, was alerted to the fire by his wife, and he rushed out to do what he could, but the fire was already out of control. He tried to fight it with an extinguisher and a garden hose, to no avail, said Roosevelt Fire Chief Lee Rockwood.

Rockwood said the fire was reported at 10:48 a.m. When crews arrived, the camp trailer was fully engulfed in flames.

Initially, firefighters were told that possibly two people were inside the trailer, but Rockwood said the child proved to be the only victim.

The state fire marshal determined the blaze was accidental, started by a spliced electrical cord, Rockwood said.

The family has set up a fund for donations at Zion's Bank under Makaella's name.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus