Home » News
Home » News

Orem family loses home to fire

Published February 28, 2013 8:50 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A family of eight was left without a home Thursday morning after a fire gutted their house in south-central Orem.

Orem Public Safety spokesman Craig Martinez said the 5:50 a.m. blaze at 973 S. 190 West in believed to have been caused by a burning candle left unattended.

Firefighters found thick smoke pouring from the rambler-style home's roof upon arrival.

No injuries were reported to the four adults and four children who lived at the home. Initially, police said the family's dog was lost, but later said the animal had survived the fire and was being treated for smoke inhalation.

The house was considered to be a total loss after its smoldering roof finally collapsed.

The Red Cross was assisting the family with food, clothing and shelter, Martinez said.

About 25 firefighters battled the blaze for about two hours, focusing on keeping flames from spreading to adjacent homes. In addition to Orem crews, the Provo Fire Department also provided assistance.


Twitter: @remims






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus