Home » News
Home » News

Electrical malfunction blamed for South Salt Lake fire

Published February 28, 2013 9:10 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Fire investigators say an electrical malfunction was to blame for a blaze that destroyed a South Salt Lake home earlier this week.

South Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Bowman said Thursday that an apparent short or power surge in an electrical panel, located in a shed adjacent to the home at 477 E. Scott Ave. (3460 South), appeared to have ignited the fire late Wednesday morning.

A family of four living at the home, along with its two dogs, escaped unharmed, but their home is considered a total loss, Bowman said.

A 911 call came in at 11:56 a.m. Wednesday. Crews arrived four minutes later but the structure — along with an adjacent shed and carport — was already fully involved in flames.

The family was staying with friends in the aftermath of the blaze.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus