This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters in Provo responded to a blaze on the campus of Brigham Young University late Monday morning.

The fire started when sparks from a cutting torch ignited tar near BYU's Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum, according to Provo Fire Battalion Chief Ed Scott. The fire sent up a large plume of black smoke, but other than some soot on the side of the museum there was no damage. Scott said crews had the blaze extinguished within five minutes.

The cutting torch and tar reportedly were being used by construction workers building an addition to the museum. There were reports of white smoke inside the building, but it dispersed quickly, Scott added. The fire did not cause any injuries.

The Bean Museum is well-know in the region for its large collection of taxidermized animals.

Twitter: @jimmycdii

comments powered by Disqus