Home » News
Home » News

Second man charged for role in Midvale triple murder

Published March 26, 2013 12:56 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Jordan » A Riverton man was charged Monday for his alleged role in a Midvale triple homicide earlier this year.

Davis Romney Fotu, 33, was charged in West Jordan's 3rd District Court with one second-degree felony count of obstructing justice in connection with the Feb. 12 shooting deaths of Danielle Lucero, Omar Jarman and Shontay Young.

He remained in the Salt Lake County jail Tuesday on $500,000 cash only bond.

According to charging documents, police say Fotu was inside the home at 8286 S. Adams St. (450 West) the morning of Feb. 12 when David Fresques allegedly went room-to-room killing Lucero, Jarman and Young.

Fotu then gave Fresques his truck and told him to take it somewhere and park it safely, according to charges. Someone then called police and reported the truck had been stolen, police said.

When Fresques was captured Feb. 13, he was in possession of Fotu's truck, police said.

Prosecutors earlier in the month charged Fresques, 25, with three counts of aggravated murder in connection with the slain victims. He was also charged with one count of attempted aggravated murder for shooting Vickie Myers, 53, in the shoulder. Myers survived.

Police nabbed Fresques after the pickup truck collided with a parked car near 3700 South and 300 East.

After a weeks-long search, Fotu was captured in March when authorities happened upon him during an unrelated probation check.

Fotu's initial court appearance is set for Thursday.

Meanwhile, a late-summer preliminary hearing, at which the prosecution will present its evidence in the shooting, seems likely for Fresques, who appeared in court Tuesday.

He briefly stood before 3rd District Court Judge Mark Kouris as family members looked on from the gallery. His mother called out to him as he was led back to prison. He waved to her with shackled hands.

Outside the courtroom, the mother approached victims' family members.

"I'm so sorry," she said, reaching out to hug the strangers. "I don't know what to believe. My son says he didn't do it."

A relative of Jarman's squeezed the woman's hand. He assured her it was not her fault, and that he understood.

"It's up to the courts now," he said. "And God."

jstecklein@sltrib.com, mlang@sltrib.com

Twitter: @sltribjanelle, @marissa_jae






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus