Home » News
Home » News

Early morning blaze leaves two families homeless

Published March 27, 2013 8:01 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Members of two families were unhurt but without a home after an early Wednesday morning fire heavily damaged their West Valley City house.

West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said the 2:50 a.m. blaze at 4399 S. 5400 West appears to have started in the home's basement. Investigators believe a natural gas leak in a clothes dryer may have been the source of the fire.

Firefighters knocked down the flames quickly, but the blaze still caused an estimated $30,000-$40,000 in damage.

All the home's occupants — including three adults and six children — escaped without injury, Fitzgerald confirmed.

The family was being assisted by the Utah Red Cross with food, clothing and shelter.


Twitter: @remims






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus