In "Utah pesticide use not dangerous" (Opinion, May 11), Leonard Blackham, Utah's state commissioner of agriculture and food, wrote about "safe, regulated pesticides."
Our family's home was a neighbor to one of these "safe, regulated" businesses. "Safe" chemicals were stored in a "safe," unmarked, unlocked, propped-open shed. What didn't fit inside was "safely" left sitting outside. It was common practice for employees to empty and rinse tanks into the ground.
We kept our windows shut because of the strong smells. Our son and other family members became very ill. To save our family's health, we had to walk away from our home and have spent thousands of dollars on medical bills.