Home » News
Home » News

Crews save cat in southeast Salt Lake City house fire

Published July 23, 2013 11:13 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Salt Lake City firefighters quickly doused a house fire in the city's southeast quarter Tuesday morning, but not before heavy smoke claimed the lives of two cats on the premises.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the 8:26 a.m. blaze was located at 1082 S. 1100 East. Smoke was seen pouring from the home's chimney, but no flames were visible when firefighters arrived.

Residents of the home were away when crews forced entry and doused the fire, which was contained to the kitchen.

Firefighters were able to revive one of three cats found inside the home, but the other two were dead at the scene. A fourth cat was later located alive.

The two surviving animals were being turned over to animal control until the home's residents were located, Asay said.

The cause of the fire was blamed on an electrical issue with the stove.


Twitter: @remims






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus