Home » News
Home » News

Carbon monoxide: Close call for two West Valley City teens

Published July 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Public safety • A pipe had come off a water heater in same room shared by the teenagers.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Two West Valley City teenagers survived a brush with death Thursday after their home filled with carbon monoxide from a suspected broken water heater.

West Valley City Fire Capt. Steve Briley said the pair, ages 16 and 17, were found on the verge of unconsciousness by other family members in the manufactured home about 8:20 a.m. The family called 911 and evacuated the residence near 3300 W. Oxford Park Drive (2800 South).

Responding firefighters discovered elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the home, and upon further investigation determined the fumes were coming from the water heater, which was in the same room shared by the teens.

A ventilation pipe on the water heater was found to have come off, apparently when the device was moved recently.

The teens were responding well to treatment at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray and were expected to fully recover.


Twitter: @remims —

Carbon monoxide safety tips

CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for placement and mounting height.

Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.

Call your local fire department's non-emergency number to find out what number to call if the CO alarm sounds.

Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer's instructions.

If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.

If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.

If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.

During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.

Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside.

Source: West Valley City Fire Department




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus