Home » News
Home » News

Arena football: Blaze end season on high note with win at home

Published July 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Arena football • Utah narrowly holds onto second-half lead to top Cleveland.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Utah Blaze's season to forget ended with a satisfying victory Saturday night at EnergySolutions Arena.

Quarterback Tommy Grady threw three touchdown passes, including two in the second half to Mario Urrutia, to lead the Blaze to a 48-46 win over Cleveland.

Utah finished a 7-11 Arena League season on a two-game winning streak.

Blaze coach Ron James credited his defense and special teams for the victory, which was Utah's second over the Gladiators this season.

"The defense played lights out," James said. "Offensively we were very erratic. We left a lot of points out there. But we were able to hang in there."

James sounded pleased that his players fought so fiercely.

"They are professionals," he said, "and they're going to work all the way through. ... At least we ended on a high note. We were happy to be able to do it in front of our fans because that's who we play for."

The Blaze got off to a quick start.

After receiving the opening kickoff, it took them only two plays to score. Grady's 1-yard touchdown pass to fullback Ben Stallings gave Utah a quick 6-0 lead, although Kyle Brotzman missed the extra point.

On Cleveland's first possession, Blaze defensive back Arness Ikner's interception gave Utah a golden chance to score again. But the Gladiator defense held from its own 2-yard line when Grady threw two incomplete passes and was intercepted on fourth down.

It was the first of three consecutive stops by Cleveland, but defensive back Tony Tatum prevented the Blaze from falling into a two-score hole. His interception and 25-yard return for a touchdown tied the game, 13-13, early in the second quarter.

It was 20-20 when Cleveland lined up for a 30-yard field goal with four-tenths of a second left in the half. The kick was blocked, however, and a wild scramble for possession ensued. The ball ended up in the end zone, where Utah's David Hyland finally recovered for a bizarre touchdown that gave the Blaze a 27-20 lead.

James tried to make it a two-score game when he ordered an onside kick to start the second half. It didn't work, though, and Cleveland's Joe Phinisee grabbed the ball and ran 14 yards for the tying touchdown.

The Blaze followed the Gladiators' quick score with back-to-back touchdown passes from Grady to Urrutia. The first was an 11-yarder. The second was a 20-yarder and gave Utah a 41-27 lead with 4:01 left in the third quarter.

From there, the Blaze held on despite three fourth-quarter touchdown passes by Provo-born Danny Southwick, who replaced Chris Dieker when he was injured. —

Storylines Blaze 48, Gladiators 46

R Quarterback Tommy Grady throws for 158 yards and three touchdowns.

• LaVaughn Macon's 54-yard kickoff return for a touchdown provides the winning margin.






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus