Home » News
Home » News

Police capture alleged rapist released from Salt Lake County jail

Published August 8, 2013 6:37 pm

Crime • Police nab man mistakenly released from Salt Lake County Jail.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police on Thursday morning re-captured an alleged rapist who was mistakenly released from jail.

Salt Lake County Jail spokeswoman Cammie Skoggs confirmed that the Unified Police Department's Major Crimes Investigation Unit, assisted by federal marshals and the Salt Lake City Metro Gangs Unit, took Anthony Santos Moultry into custody about 10 a.m. on a downtown Salt Lake City street, near 300 E. 400 South.

Skoggs said plainclothes officers spotted and approach Moultry, taking the 27-year-old by surprise, and arrested him without incident. He was re-booked into the jail in lieu of $100,000 bail on charges ranging from first-degree felony rape and burglary to misdemeanor counts of theft and lewdness.

Skoggs said a woman she identified as Moultry's wife, Rainey Moultry, also was arrested in connection with the case on suspicion of second-degree felony obstruction of justice.

Moultry was captured within hours after a manhunt was launched in the wake of accidental release from jail on Wednesday.

"This is a bad guy…he should never have been released," an irate Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said earlier, noting that Moultry has a violent reputation.

Despite an incarceration extension order filed by prosecutors, Moultry was released from jail late Wednesday morning. Apparently, he had reached the statutory 72-hour limit on incarceration without formal charges being filed against him.

Winder said he was "at a loss" to understand how the extension hold order was missed. There are five separate administrative steps required before such a release — and someone on his jail staff should have noticed something wrong somewhere in the process, Winder stated.

"This was a mistake," Winder said. "We don't want people to think this is a regular occurrence."

According to a probable cause statement, Moultry had entered the female victim's apartment near 900 E. Pineway Drive (4900 South) in Murray between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Saturday and, under threat of death, the woman was sexually assaulted repeatedly. After allegedly forcing the victim to watch him masturbate, Moultry purportedly stole the victim's wallet before he left.

During Moultry's absence from jail police provided protection for the alleged victim.


Twitter: @remims






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus