Home » News
Home » News

Rolly: For these cops, catching speeders trumps helping lost child

Published August 13, 2013 7:35 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

My recent columns about speed traps reminded Michele Corigiano of an incident three years ago that still troubles her.

She was driving east on 2100 South past Sugar House Park and noticed two Salt Lake City motorcycle cops hunting down speeders with their radar guns.

She continued east to 2100 East where she noticed a toddler, about 2 or 3 years old, walking alone on the sidewalk and dangerously near the intersection.

She pulled over, got out of her car and asked where his parents were. He said he was looking for his mom, who had gone shopping and didn't want to bother his dad, who was watching football. He didn't know his address or which house was his.

She called 911 and told the dispatcher about the lost toddler and where they were. The dispatcher said a police car would be sent to help.

She waited for 45 minutes until, finally, the boy's distraught parents came running down the street looking for him. Once she was satisfied they indeed were his parents, she left.

Despite the fact that two cops were only a half-mile away trying to catch speeders with their radar guns, she says police never came.

Bureaucracy at its best • Neighbors complained for two days about a dead animal — either a raccoon or a cat — in the middle of the intersection of 1300 East and Yale Avenue.

Calls to the Salt Lake City Streets Department went to an answering machine, and messages were not returned.

A call to Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker's office revealed that the city did not have jurisdiction over that particular problem. The caller was told to call the State Division of Wildlife Resources. But the receptionist didn't have that number.

One resident finally found a number to call, but when she did, she was told that DWR office didn't have jurisdiction and she was directed to DWR's Springville Office.

She called the long-distance number to Springville and was told they would take care of it.

From Springville.

Justice served? • The Salt Lake Tribune reported last week that serial scammer Wayne Reed Ogden was sentenced in federal court to 10 years in prison for defrauding investors in his Ponzi scheme out of millions of dollars.

He also was ordered to pay $4.86 million in restitution to his victims. U.S. Judge Clark Waddoups ordered that the restitution be paid in monthly installments of $25 while Ogden is in prison and $100 after he gets out.

According to that schedule, Ogden will pay off his victims in just over 4,046 years.

Mixed message • A Unified Police Department vehicle pulling a trailer was spotted Aug. 5 going about 55 mph — well over the speed limit on Highland Drive near 3600 South.

The trailer was one of those electronic speed-monitoring devices placed on the side of the road that flashes your speed as you approach to remind you to slow down.

prolly@sltrib.com —






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus