"From an outside view, it's always been one of the best rivalries in the NFL," Smith said. "Looking to see who can come out and be the toughest team, and hopefully [we] get the victory. From being on this team now, I know it means a lot to everyone around here."
Since that loss 12 years ago, Brady is 18-5 as a starter against the Jets, including the postseason. He's won three Super Bowls and two regular-season MVP awards. Facing the Jets, though, is still special.
"It's awesome," Brady said. "It's Boston-New York. It's been that way for a long time, long before me, and any time you see them on the schedule you just think of all the great games that you've had against them and you think of how challenging the game will be."
Around the league
Lions • Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh says he is appealing the NFL's $100,000 fine against him for his hit on Vikings center John Sullivan over the weekend.
Chiefs • Running back Jamaal Charles expects to be available for Sunday's game against Dallas after bruising his quad in last weekend's win at Jacksonville.
Cowboys • Defensive end Anthony Spencer (left knee) practiced for the first time this season and says he should play in Week 2 against Kansas City.
Vikings • Defensive tackle Kevin Williams returned to practice after missing the season opener with a bone bruise and hyperextension of his right knee. The six-time Pro Bowler said he expects to play Sunday against the Bears
Week 2 schedule
• N.Y. Jets at New England, 6:25 p.m., NFL
• Dallas at Kansas City, 11 a.m.
• Tennessee at Houston, 11 a.m.
• Washington at Green Bay, 11 a.m., Ch. 13
• Minnesota at Chicago, 11 a.m.
• St. Louis at Atlanta, 11 a.m.
• San Diego at Philadelphia, 11 a.m., Ch. 2
• Miami at Indianapolis, 11 a.m.
• Cleveland at Baltimore, 11 a.m.
• Carolina at Buffalo, 11 a.m.
• Detroit at Arizona, 2:05 p.m.
• New Orleans at Tampa Bay, 2:05 p.m.
• Jacksonville at Oakland, 2:25 p.m.
• Denver at N.Y. Giants, 2:25 p.m., Ch. 2
• San Francisco at Seattle, 6:30 p.m., Ch. 5
• Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, 6:40 p.m., ESPN