Home » News
Home » News

Former Utah teacher charged with sex crimes has new accusers

Published September 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Crime • Nine people have stepped forward after arrest of former educator.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police say nine new people have stepped forward with allegations against a former school teacher and Boy Scout leader arrested last week for sex crimes.

The nine people came forward after seeing reports in the media that Kenneth Prince, 61, had been arrested for sexual exploitation of multiple minors, according to South Ogden Police Lt. Dwight Ruth.

Police began investigating Prince in early September, when a now-adult male told detectives Prince had sexually abused him while the alleged victim was a minor.

Officers raided Prince's home Sept. 19 and confiscated three computers said to contain sexually explicit images of juvenile boys. Police arrested Prince on Sept. 25. About an hour after being booked into jail he posted $10,000 bail and was released.

Prosecutors on Thursday charged Prince in 2nd District Court with five second-degree felonies for sexual exploitation of a minor.

Ruth provided few details about the nine new accusers, though he did say they are all adults now and are cooperating with police.

"They're wanting some resolution to this," he added.

Ruth also said he had "no doubt" there are additional victims, given Prince's decades-long career as a junior high teacher and time as a Boy Scout leader in the South Ogden area.

Prince was employed as a teacher at South Ogden Junior High School from 1979 to 2008.

Prosecutors have had not filed any charges Monday reflecting the new accusations against Prince, though Ruth said more charges could be forthcoming.

Prince tried to kill himself at a Logan home on the day prosecutors charged him, police say. He reportedly slit his wrist and ingested mercury, but was discovered alive about 3 p.m. Thursday. Prince was hospitalized after the suicide attempt.

The incident exposed several police officers and emergency responders to mercury, and the Logan Police station, along with two officers' homes, had to be decontaminated.

Prince is scheduled to make his first appearance in court Wednesday afternoon.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the Weber County public dispatch office at 801-629-8221 and ask to speak to a South Ogden police officer. Police have said they will protect the identities of any potential victims.


Twitter: @jimmycdii






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus