This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

More than a year after charges were filed against an Idaho inmate for allegedly raping and killing an 11-year-old Ogden girl in 1983, the man has been extradited to Utah to face prosecution.

Gregory L. Seamons, 46, is charged in 2nd District Court with first-degree felony counts of murder and rape for the slaying of Rebecca Lemberger, who went missing after walking to Edison Elementary School on March 2, 1983.

Seamons was booked into the Weber County jail last Thursday, after fighting extradition from an Idaho prison, where he is serving time for a second-degree felony kidnapping conviction. He also made his initial appearance in court last Thursday, where he was assigned a public defender, James Ratallick. Seamons is scheduled to make his next court appearance on Nov. 18.

Nearly 30 years after Lemberger's death, a DNA match led police to Seamons. According to court documents, a DNA sample taken from Seamons in July 2011 matched DNA from the 1983 murder scene, which had been placed into a national database.

Police also determined that Seamons, who was 15 at the time, was living in the same Ogden neighborhood as Lemberger.

The girl's body was discovered by classmates in a wooden shed. She was underneath an old mattress, wrapped in a blanket. Police said her head had been smashed at least eight times with a rock, according to news accounts at the time.

In a 2012 letter sent to The Salt Lake Tribune, Seamons admitted to "fooling around" with the 11-year-old victim prior to her death, but said he suspects that his father, Larry Bingham Seamons, likely killed the girl. Larry Seamons died nearly a decade ago.

"One morning [my dad] picked me and this girl up at the Circle K on Monroe and said he would take me to school first then drop her off on his way back because he wanted to talk to my Mom. I never saw this girl again and a few days later it came out on the news that she had been killed," Seamons wrote in a letter sent from the Idaho prison where he is incarcerated.

Ogden Major Crimes Sgt. Tim Scott has said that Seamons pointing the finger at his father is "convenient" considering that the elder Seamons is dead. But he said police are confident the right man has been charged with the girl's rape and murder.

Twitter: @jm_miller

comments powered by Disqus