This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 21-year-old woman accused of fleeing after she crashed into a stroller and killed the 2-year-old inside was not wearing her glasses at the time of the collision, according to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court.

Kimberly Muñoz faces one felony count of leaving the scene of an accident involving death and three misdemeanors that allege she was driving without valid insurance, wasn't wearing her eyeglasses and had illegal tinting on her windshield.

If convicted, Muñoz could face up to five years in prison.

The charges came Wednesday, nearly six months after Gavyn Barnett was killed in the collision.

The toddler's mother, Angela Barnett, was crossing 5600 West and 4005 South in West Valley City on June 10 about 9:15 p.m. with her 9-year-old daughter by her side and her son in a stroller.

The area was poorly lit, police said. There was no crosswalk.

As the mother moved toward the sidewalk with her children, a car crashed into the stroller.

The impact sent the stroller — and the child inside it — flying.

Gavyn Barnett landed in the road. He was taken to Primary Children's Hospital, officials said, but later died from his injuries.

In interviews with police, the mother said she saw the car that hit her baby stop briefly before continuing on.

After months of investigating, police received a tip from family members of Muñoz's ex-boyfriend, who told police that she was responsible for the crash.

Muñoz told detectives that she had forgotten her glasses that night. It was dark and she "couldn't see very well," according to charging documents. She didn't see anyone crossing the road.

After she realized she had hit someone, she "stopped her car, looked into her rearview mirror and saw a stroller," the documents state, "but got scared and drove off."

She never called the police.

Muñoz was booked into jail last week She remains there in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Twitter: @Marissa_Jae

comments powered by Disqus