A highly explosive acid discovered at a Salt Lake City home Wednesday morning prompted evacuations and road closures, but was safely disposed of about two and a half hours later.
The homeowner alerted emergency responders about his bottle of picric acid about 11 a.m. at 2074 E. Sunnyside Avenue (850 South), according to Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay. The highly volatile acid is primary used in explosives, Asay said. Initial reports indicated the bottle of acid was 50 years old. It appears the more dried-out the acid is, the more volatile it becomes.
Asay said bomb squad and hazmat crews were deployed, assessed the situation and called for more resources.