Home » News
Home » News

Hearing postponed in Orem homicide

Published December 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Attorney ill • Suspect is accused of killing his wife.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Monday hearing to decide if an Orem man accused of fatally shooting his wife should be ordered to stand trial has been postponed because his attorney is ill, according to court officials.

A new date was not immediately set.

Conrad Mark Truman is accused of fatally shooting his wife last year to collect nearly a million dollars in life insurance benefits.

But during a preliminary hearing held earlier this month in 4th District Court, Truman's sister testified that her brother told her that he was unaware of the large insurance policies, and never said he wanted or needed money.

"They had everything," Colette Dahl testified. "They went on vacations, they had multiple cars. He bought her presents. He bought her flowers."

Conrad Truman, 31, is charged with first-degree felony murder and second-degree felony obstruction of justice for the Sept. 30, 2012 death of 25-year-old Heidy Truman.

On Dec. 12, at the end of the two-day preliminary hearing, Judge Samuel McVey made no ruling on whether Truman's case will go to trial, opting instead to give Truman's attorney more time to look over the evidence. Attorneys had been scheduled to make their arguments about the bindover before the judge on Monday.

According to charging documents, Conrad Truman claimed someone else shot his wife through the window of their Orem home. But Dahl, along with a number of police officers, have testified that there was no bullet hole in a window or anywhere at their home that would indicate she was shot by someone outside.

Orem police Detective Tom Wallace testified Thursday that the shot that killed Heidy Truman came from Conrad Truman's gun. However, the state crime lab could not identify any definitive fingerprints on the gun, Wallace testified.

Conrad Truman also allegedly told police in an interview that his wife may have committed suicide. Wallace testified on Thursday that a post on the man's Facebook page gave yet another explanation as to how his wife died.

"It was a complete freak accident," Wallace read from a printed copy of Conrad Truman's Facebook page. "She had a gun in her hand and slipped."

Autopsy reports show Heidy Truman was shot in the head with a pistol that had been pressed hard against the side of her head. In the house, police found blood everywhere — in the kitchen where Heidy Truman's naked body lay, in the front entry, the living room, a bedroom, a bathroom and on Truman himself.

Despite the evidence, however, Truman told investigators that he was in another room when his wife was shot. The two had bickered that night, and she went into the bathroom to take a shower, he allegedly told police. He said that she finished showering about 20 minutes later, while he was watching TV in the living room. Then, according to his initial account recorded by police, Truman heard a loud pop and saw his wife walk out from the bathroom area and collapse on the kitchen floor.

Conrad Truman called 911, and Heidy Truman was taken to a nearby hospital, where she died.


Twitter: @jm_miller






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus