Home » News
Home » News

Barn fire in Wanship displaces animals

Published December 24, 2013 8:39 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire early Tuesday that destroyed a barn in Wanship was sparked by an extension cord.

The fire began some time before 4:10 a.m. in a barn at 29731 Old Lincoln Highway, according to North Summit Fire District spokesman Tyler Rowser. The blaze completely destroyed the barn, valued at about $150,000, and displaced several goats and dogs that had fled to an exterior, fenced-in area.

Crews managed to rescued the animals and no people were injured in the fire. However, it also destroyed about $30,000 worth contents in the barn, including 800 bales of hay that were being stored as winter livestock feed.

The fire was mostly out Tuesday afternoon, though Rowser said crews decided to let some hay smolder itself out. Residents of the area could expect to see smoke from the smoldering hay for several days.

The fire temporary reduced water supplies for the Summit County community, though Rowser said that issue had been resolved by mid-afternoon.

Investigators believe the fire began with an extension cord used to power a water trough.


Twitter: @remims






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus