This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation late Thursday morning from the scene of a house fire in Layton.

The Layton Fire Department said crews responded to a 911 call just before 11 a.m. reporting smoke pouring from the brick and wood framed home at 350 E. Morgan St. (450 South). When firefighters arrived, they found a 19-year-old man outside the home. He was having difficultly breathing and had soot on his face.

An ambulance took the man, who was the son of the homeowners, to Davis Hospital for smoke inhalation. He was released Thursday afternoon.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire and no other injuries were reported.

Layton Fire spokesman Doug Bitton reported that the man suffered some of his injuries when he rushed back into the smoky house to rescue a Siberian husky. The dog proved too heavy for the man to carry out, but it later managed to escape on it's own. Bitton advised people to never return to a burning building, even to rescue pets or valuables.

Investigators believe the fire begin in the basement with a pan of grease on a stove. The stove top may have been accidentally turned on, according to the Layton Fire Department.

Fire crews also rescued a pit bull and a cat from the home.

Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000

—Tribune reporters Jim Dalrymple contributed to this story.

Twitter: @remims

comments powered by Disqus