Home » News
Home » News

West Utah man dies during police pursuit

Published January 18, 2014 11:21 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Stansbury Park man died Saturday evening after evading a Tooele County deputy and crashing his vehicle, according to the sheriff's office.

Mark Richard Johnson, 37, died at Mountain West Medical Center shortly after his arrival there.

Tooele County sheriff's deputies were looking for Johnson after he was involved in a domestic dispute at his home earlier that day. A sergeant eventually spotted Johnson's vehicle in Stansbury Park and started following him to confirm the vehicle's registration, according to a sheriff's office news release.

As the sergeant followed, Johnson pulled over to the side of Brigham Road — but when the sergeant stopped behind him to make contact, Johnson immediately drove off, the news release adds.

The sergeant chased Johnson as he ran a stop sign at Brigham Road and State Road 138, turning west onto the state road. Soon after the sergeant turned on his flashing lights, Johnson swerved off the road, rolling his vehicle.

It appears Johnson was not wearing a seat-belt and was thrown from the vehicle, which rolled on top of him, according to the release.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus