Home » News
Home » News

Sports briefs: Two drivers hospitalized after Daytona crash

Published January 25, 2014 9:31 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

AUTO RACING • Memo Gidley and Matteo Malucelli were admitted to a hospital Saturday night in Daytona Beach, Fla., for further testing after a two-car accident three hours into the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

IMSA officials said both drivers were awake and communicating, but gave no other information about their conditions.

Gidley was driving for the pole-winning GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team. He had to be cut out of the No. 99 Corvette, which crumpled like an accordion when he plowed into the back of Malucelli's Ferrari.

The cars were heading into the kink in the infield portion of the track facing directly into the sun. Malucelli's car had apparently lost power — his team said he radioed he was pulling out of the way — as the cars headed into a high-speed turn.

At the same time, Gidley tried to lap a slower car. He pulled out to the left and tried to duck under the lapped car, apparently didn't see Malucelli off the pace, and drove directly into the Ferrari at nearly full speed.

The race was red-flagged as emergency workers tended to both drivers. They were placed onto stretchers, loaded into ambulances and taken to Halifax Health Medical Center, located roughly a mile outside the race track.

"This stuff, it happens, it's racing. But you never expect it to be your car, your team," said Gidley teammate Darren Law.

Olivier Beretta, Malucelli's teammate on the Risi Competizione team, saw a replay of the accident and wondered if the glare played a role in the wreck.

"It's difficult to say because it's the sun going down, and in this corner you don't see very well," Beretta said. "I don't know. I honestly don't know. The most important thing right now is Matteo, the rest I don't care. It's just Matteo and the other driver."

Many drivers inquired about Gidley's condition. Christian Fittipaldi passed by the accident scene before the race was stopped and was concerned for Gidley's well-being.

"At that point, conditions were really hard. The sun was setting. There were two points on the track where you couldn't see anything," Fittipaldi said. "One was at start-finish and the other point was coming out of Turn 3 and coming out of the kink. I imagined there was a slow car ahead of him and he couldn't see."

The clock ticked off roughly 90 minutes under combined red and yellow flag following the accident before racing resumed. The sun had gone down and the drivers had turned on their headlights by the time the field went green again.

The bizarre accident was yet another disappointment for the GAINSCO team, which was the surprising pole winner Thursday despite limited preseason testing and a thin budget that has the organization planning to run only five of the 13 events in the in the inaugural United SportsCar Championship season.

The odds were stacked against the GAINSCO team winning the race — since 1994 only three pole winners have reached Victory Lane in the twice-around-the-clock endurance event — but a strong showing would have sufficed.

Although the team won the pole in 2007 and finished second in 2008, it has finished no better than seventh since and had DNF's in 2010 and was 89 laps off the pace in 2012.

When racing did resume, the event got its feel good moment when Wayne Taylor came out of retirement to briefly get behind the wheel of the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette.

The 58-year-old last raced in 2010, in this event, but was talked into driving one stint as an opportunity to join the lineup with sons with Ricky and Jordan. The opportunity came about when Ricky rejoined the team that won the Grand-AM driver championship last season with Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli.

Wayne Taylor, despite his vocal reluctance to do much in the car, seemed to be on pace as he battled Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan.

"My Dad just held Tony Kanaan off for two laps. I have a very cool Dad!" Jordan Taylor posted on Twitter.

The plan had been for Ricky Taylor, who started the race, to turn the car over to his father. But the driver change came as the sun was setting, and the team decided at the last minute to instead have Angelelli drive second.

"When I got out of the car, there was a big glare and he has had trouble with his eyes and his old age," Ricky Taylor said, laughing slightly. "We would like to put him in in the nighttime, and preferably under yellow, because he's also a little on the shorter side. He has a big insert in his seat and we have to get him snug in there tight. We have to loosen our belts up a lot."

His sons said their father has been protesting competing in the event, but they believe he's secretly enjoying himself.

"After the race he will look back on it and be very happy that we made it happen and that we got through it," Ricky Taylor said. "He is hating it. He doesn't enjoy driving anymore. He always wants to get out of the car. But every time he is finished driving, he's happy."

Wyoming launches $30M arena renovation

COLLEGE BASKETBALL • The University of Wyoming launched a $30 million renovation of its Arena-Auditorium on Saturday with the announcement of $10 million in private donations.

The court will be named after one of the donors, Cheyenne businessman Maury Brown. A total of 36 donors provided funding after the Legislature committed $10 million in state matching funds to encourage donations. Lawmakers then appropriated $5 million more toward the project.

"We are extremely grateful to all of those individuals who have stepped forward to make this project possible," athletics director Tom Burman said in a statement. "Cowboy and Cowgirl basketball generate a great deal of passion around our state, and we know how proud the people of Wyoming are of the young men and women who worn the Brown and Gold through the years."

The 32-year-old facility will undergo a major renovation after the current basketball season ends, including expanded courtside seats with padding, modernized locker rooms and new weight and sports medicine areas. The basketball court will be rotated 35 degrees to allow two full practice courts, and two new video boards will be installed.

A 22-foot-high sculpture depicting former Wyoming All-America basketball player Kenny Sailors will greet fans at a redesigned front entrance to the arena. The sculptor will be Rudy Gunter, a UW graduate from Green River.

Indians to unveil Thome statue in August

Baseball • When Jim Thome first started pointing his bat toward the pitcher, he never imagined that subtle movement would one day become immortalized.

The Cleveland Indians announced Saturday that they will unveil a statue of Thome at Progressive Field on Aug. 2. Cleveland's career leader in home runs will be forever honored with the statue, which depicts him standing in the batter's box and directing his bat toward the mound. Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller is the only other Cleveland player to also be honored with a statue outside the ballpark.

Thome never could have imagined such a tribute, and is humbled by the salute.

"As a player, I don't even want to say you dream of that," said Thome, who retired in 2012 with 612 career homers. "When it happens, when the opportunity comes about, it's humbling. It's just a wonderful thing. My family is just ecstatic about it."

One of Cleveland's most popular players, Thome hit 337 homers with the Indians. He broke in with the club as a slender third baseman in 1991 and developed into one of baseball's most feared hitters.

Early in his career, Cleveland minor league hitting coach Charlie Manuel, who went on to manage Philadelphia to a World Series title, suggested to Thome that he should point his bat at the pitcher to loosen him up before hitting.

Manuel got the idea after watching Robert Redford's character Roy Hobbs in the film "The Natural."

"Charlie had seen a clip of Roy Hobbs pointing the bat," Thome said. "When I got in the box, I was tense, everything was tight. He wanted to create that relaxing feeling in the box for me and pointing the bat did that. It got my trigger ready to hit."

Thome had two stints with the Indians. He played with the club from 1991-2002 before signing as a free agent with Philadelphia. He also played for the White Sox, Dodgers, Twins and Orioles before retiring in 2012.

Thome is currently working as a special assistant with the White Sox.

Darvish to be Rangers' opening-day starter

Baseball • Yu Darvish will be the opening-day starter for the Texas Rangers.

When asked by a fan Saturday at the team's Fan Fest who would start the March 31 opener against Philadelphia, manager Ron Washington said he thinks "it's obvious. It's Darvish."

Darvish was 13-9 with a 2.93 ERA in 32 starts last season. He led the majors with 277 strikeouts and was second in the AL Cy Young Award voting.

The right-hander dealt with nerve inflammation in his lower back the last six weeks of last season, but his offseason rehab has gone well. He is still home in Japan preparing for spring training and the season.

He started the second game last season, coming within one out of a perfect game against Houston.

The Associated Press






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus