Home » News
Home » News

Police ID Orem couple who died from CO poisoning

Published February 2, 2014 3:11 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Jordan police Sunday identified two people who died from carbon-monoxide poisoning as a married couple from Orem.

Police spokesman Randy Anglesey said carpet cleaners Maria Lopez-Landaverde, 37, and Joselito Solorzano, 43, died Saturday after they pulled their van into a garage near 6000 W. Miners Drive (6920 South), closed the garage door and kept the van and equipment running inside the enclosed space as they cleaned the carpets in the home.

He said the couple, which ran their own carpet-cleaning company, had been hired to clean carpets inside a rental house when the "horrible accident" occurred.

He said there was a little ventilation inside the home, which was not equipped with carbon-monoxide detectors, but not enough to properly ventilate the deadly gas.

Fire officials said the carbon-monoxide levels in the home, in terms of parts per million, were into the 200s. Most people start feeling sick around 70 parts per million.


Twitter @sltribjanelle




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus