This is an archived article that was published on in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Jordan • Hours after leaving the scene of a Midvale triple homicide, a woman said, David Fresques made a chilling admission:

"I ran out of bullets."

Though he didn't admit to being at the home where the shooting happened or tell his friend Rebecca Diamond that he killed anyone, she said, he indicated that given the way he was feeling on Feb. 12, 2013, there's no telling what he might have done.

Perhaps he would have shot the man and woman who lived there or put a bullet in their son — a boy with Down's syndrome and autism who was asleep at the time of the killings.

"I asked him if he would have shot [the boy], and he said, 'At that time, yeah,' " she said. "He said he was going to prison for the rest of his life."

For the first time in the year since Omar Jarman, 35, Danielle Lucero, 26, and Shontay Young, 34, were found dead inside the Midvale home, witnesses offered insight Thursday into how Fresques knew his alleged victims and what may have motivated him to shoot them.

Witnesses painted a picture of petty grudges: Fresques, it seemed, thought Jarman was a snitch, and Fresques didn't like Young, Diamond said, because she was black.

It was not clear why Fresques may have targeted Lucero or Vickie Myers, the lone shooting victim to survive the 2013 attack.

Fresques, 26, is charged with three counts of aggravated murder and one count of attempted aggravated murder in connection with the killings.

Myers said she was "100 percent sure" the man seated in the courtroom wearing the orange jumpsuit and shackles was the one who cocked his gun to one side and fired a bullet into her shoulder.

"I knew who the shooter was," she said. "He was Hispanic ... had the numbers one, three, zero tattooed on his chest and neck."

It was the first time Myers had been to the Midvale home, at 8286 S. Adams St. (450 West).

She's in her mid-50s. A divorcee from Provo.

Weeks prior, she had met a man selling drugs at a motel where she had been staying, she testified. When he invited her up to his Midvale home, she accepted. Homeless at the time, Myers said, she hoped she could stay there for a while.

The next morning, the bullets began to fly.

"I didn't know I was going to be in that type of situation," she testified, wiping tears from her eyes.

Myers testified that she met Young and Lucero, also guests in the home, before she retired to an upstairs bedroom. High on methamphetamine, she said, she stayed up all night.

Sometime after 7 a.m., Myers said she heard a car pull into the driveway. Noises followed from downstairs.

"I didn't know what to do," she said. "It all happened so quick. The [bedroom] door opened and then closed and I heard a bam!"

Myers testified Thursday from a wheelchair. The woman has suffered several mini-strokes and illnesses since a bullet passed through her right shoulder that night, barely missing her lungs and spinal cord.

"It's affected me a lot," she said. "I worry about my family and about other people, knowing now how there are people out there with guns who shoot freely."

Crime scene photos showed where each of the victims had been gun down: Jarman slumped in a turquoise chair in the living room, Young on the ground in a pool of her own blood, Lucero in an upstairs bedroom splayed out over blood-stained sheets.

A forensic investigator testified that it was determined they had all died from gunshot wounds.

Jarman suffered a gunshot wound to the neck, where the bullet was later retrieved from his body. The shot pierced his spinal cord and would have caused him to stop breathing, testified Pamela Ulmer.

Young was also shot in the neck. The bullet cut through her jugular vein and carotid artery, Ulmer said, noting the woman may not have died immediately, but she wouldn't have been able to stand.

Lucero was shot twice in the torso, the bullet tearing through her lungs and caused massive internal bleeding, Ulmer said.

All three tested positive for drugs.

Nicole Brass, who used to live in the home, said drug deals were a frequent occurrence and drew a constant parade of people in and out of the house.

Just weeks before the shooting, the house had been raided by law enforcement, according to testimony. The front door had been broken and could no longer be used.

Guests had to enter through the kitchen — a narrow room with a tile floor atop which detectives would later find bullet casings.

Eyewitnesses testified Wednesday that Fresques entered the home, pulled out a gun and began shooting without warning.

Davis Romney Fotu, who was with Fresques that day despite having just met him the night before, said he didn't see the shootings. But he heard gunfire.

Fotu, who pleaded guilty in October to second-degree obstruction of justice in this case, will be sentenced later this month.

The last Fotu saw of Fresques, he said, was when he told him to take his truck and take off. He told prosecutors it seemed like the easiest way to separate himself from the defendant.

Sometime later, Fresques called Diamond and asked to come over, she said.

Diamond considers Fresques a friend. She didn't want to be there Thursday, testifying against her "homeboy."

Throughout her testimony, she called him by his nickname: Twisted.

She told prosecutors that the two had seen each other the night before the shooting and Fresques had said something about going to find a gun.

The preliminary hearing is expected to last through Friday morning, at which point, Judge Mark Kouris will rule whether or not there is enough evidence to order Fresques to stand trial.

Twitter: @Marissa_Jae

comments powered by Disqus