Home » News
Home » News

Was bus driver negligent in death of Salt Lake's 'Mr. Downtown'?

Published February 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Judge asks prosecutors to explain why driver should be tried on criminal negligence.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The trial of a bus driver accused of running over and killing 82-year-old businessman Richard Wirick — known around Salt Lake City as "Mr. Downtown" for his longtime support of local commerce — was delayed when a judge questioned whether city prosecutors could prove she acted with criminal negligence

The Salt Lake City Justice Court judge ordered prosecutors to explain why Cheryl Anne Kidd, who hit Wirick as he was walking in a crosswalk at 200 East and 400 South on Feb. 21, 2012, should be tried for misdemeanor negligent operation of a motor vehicle causing personal injury since there is no evidence the woman had been driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"Simple negligence is not sufficient to prove a crime," Judge L.G. Cutler said, noting that the prosecution typically has to prove the defendant was doing something he or she should not have been.

Prosecutors planned to file a motion Tuesday afternoon explaining why they believe prosecuting Kidd is the right course of action. The judge will rule Wednesday morning.

If the trial proceeds, it is expected to last for three days.

Kidd faces two charges: misdemeanor negligent operation of a motor vehicle causing personal injury, which carries a maximum sentence of up to six months in jail, and not yielding the right of way at a crosswalk, an infraction for which she cannot be incarcerated.

According to charging documents, Wirick was still crossing the street Feb. 21, 2012, when the traffic signal changed.

A Utah Transit Authority bus, driven by Kidd, went through the intersection, hitting Wirick in the far right westbound lane of 400 South and trapping him under the bus.

Wirick died later that day.

Kidd, 50, has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

She told police that she did not see Wirick, according to court documents, and there was no evidence she had been driving under the influence.

The UTA terminated Kidd on March 15, 2012.

Wirick owned the Oxford Shop shoe store, at 65 W. 100 South, for nearly six decades.


Twitter: @Marissa_Jae






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus