Home » News
Home » News

Injured deputy released from Provo hospital

Published February 18, 2014 11:40 am

Shooting • Deputy Greg Sherwood was initially listed in critical condition after the Jan. 30 shooting.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Injured Utah County Sheriff's Deputy Greg Sherwood was released from a hospital Tuesday morning, nearly three weeks after he was shot in the head while on duty.

Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said Sherwood was released from Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, in Provo, around 11 a.m. Tuesday.

Cannon said people gathered along Main Street in Spanish Fork to welcome the deputy home. American flags also lined the streets to the deputy's Spanish Fork home Tuesday.

Sherwood was initially listed in critical condition after the Jan. 30 shooting. His wife, Gina Sherwood, said last Monday that her husband has undergone two surgeries since the shooting, one which removed a bullet fragment that had lodged between his brain and his skull.

Gina Sherwood said last week that her husband was in good spirits, and had been joking around with nurses and medical staff while he recovered at the hospital.

Greg Sherwood was shot in Santaquin on Jan. 30 after accused shooter Jose Angel Garcia-Jauregui, 27, had fatally shot Utah County Sgt. Cory Wride on State Road 73 between Eagle Mountain and Cedar Fort.

Authorities have said Wride exited his patrol car to check on a pulled-over pickup truck with flashers blinking, and spoke with Garcia-Jauregui and the 17-year-old driver, Meagan Dakota Grunwald — who was charged as an adult Tuesday with aggravated murder and 13 other counts in connection with the shootings of Wride and Sherwood.

Wride returned to his car and began searching police databases for information about the pair. At some point, Garcia-Jauregui slid open the truck's rear window and fired a gun at Wride, killing him in his car, according to charges filed against Grunwald.

Garcia-Jauregui and Grunwald fled south, where Sherwood encountered them as they reached Santaquin.

Again, Garcia-Jauregui fired from the back window of the truck. Sherwood was struck once in the head.

"He does remember everything," Gina Sherwood said last week. "He remembers finding [Garcia-Jauregui's] car, and going after it. He just said he knew it was the car ... All of a sudden, he heard glass breaking and it felt like he had been hit in the head with a sledgehammer."

Juab County Sheriff's deputies eventually wounded and caught Garcia-Jauregui in their county after he allegedly carjacked a woman and fired at deputies and passing vehicles on the freeway.

Garcia-Jauregui died at a local hospital the next day.


Twitter: @jm_miller






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus