A propane heater appears to have caused the death of a Utah father and his teenage son, who were poisoned by carbon monoxide while camping at Flaming Gorge.
Steven McConnell, 58, and 17-year-old Matthew McConnell, of Stansbury Park, were camping with a group in ice fishing huts this weekend in the Big Firehole area, according to a press statement by the Sweetwater County, Wyo., sheriff's department.
The McConnells went to sleep on cots in their own huts about 1 a.m. Monday; when their companions tried to wake them about 9 a.m., they were unresponsive, deputies reported. One member of the group went to the boat ramp about a half mile away and flagged down a passer-by to drive to where he could get cell service and call for help. However responders found the McConnells had died.