Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Magna shed fire burns power pole, forces 3 families from homes

Published February 20, 2014 9:20 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Unified Fire crews quickly extinguished an early Thursday morning fire outside a home in Magna, but damage to a nearby power pole left the home and two neighboring residences without electricity.

UFA Battalion Chief Brian Anderton said the fire, at 9150 W. 2820 South, began in a shed about 5 a.m. Thursday, destroying that structure and a nearby fence. It had begun to encroach on a neighbor's garage before crews doused it.

However, flames did significant damage to the power pole, and that forced removal of electrical meters at several homes that were damaged as a result. Anderton said three families will not be able to live in those homes until repairs are made.



The Utah Red Cross is assisting the families with shelter and food, he said.

Anderton said that what ignited the blaze within the shed remained under investigation, but initial indications were that the fire was not intentionally set.

No damage estimate was available, but there were no injuries.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

 

 

 

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus