Home » News
Home » News

SLC police: Baby girl remains critical after alleged abuse

Published March 21, 2014 8:41 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A baby girl remained in critical condition Friday, three days after being hospitalized for head and other injuries police say resulted from child abuse.

Salt Lake City police Detective Veronica Montoya said the 8-month-old girl had been taken to Primary Children's Medical Center on Wednesday morning with brain trauma and extensive bruising. Medical personnel alerted police.

Officers were dispatched to the hospital, where, after an investigation, they arrested a 24-year-old man for allegedly causing the infant's injuries.

A probable cause statement notes that the man, who was babysitting while the girl's mother was out, admitted to having "spanked" the infant hard, throwing her onto a mattress and repeatedly banging her head against his shoulder over several days.

Montoya said the man also was wanted on active arrest warrants.

He was booked into the Salt Lake County jail, where he remained without bail Friday on suspicion of second-degree felony intentional child abuse and numerous assault and drug-related misdemeanor counts.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus