Home » News
Home » News

Young boys start Provo house fire, cause thousands in damages

Published March 21, 2014 10:51 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Three young boys accidentally started a fire in Provo on Friday that caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to a home.

The fire began about 3:16 p.m. in bushes near a home at 1257 N. 1270 West in Provo, according to Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield. The flames then spread to the home, though the homeowner managed to escape after a neighbor saw smoke and raised the alarm.

Firefighters soon arrived and put the blaze out in about 20 minutes. Schofield estimated the damage from the blaze at $60,000.

According to Schofield, witnesses pointed investigators to three young boys who had been near the fire's point of origin. Upon questioning, the boys admitted to starting the blaze. Schofield said the boys will not be charged due to their age — which he did not provide — though they will be referred to a youth intervention team for "evaluation and education."


Twitter: @jimmycdii






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus