Home » News
Home » News

Utah FB Karl Williams feeling 'blessed' after signing with Oakland Raiders

Published May 11, 2014 9:44 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Even today, it's tricky for Karl Williams to wrap his head around:

Teams are fighting for him.

As he followed the NFL Draft on Saturday, Williams felt a little bit like he had entered a surreal universe: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were offering him terms in the 6th round, while Oakland told him they might draft him in the seventh.

It was stressful, the former walk-on said, but gratifying. And even though he didn't get drafted on Saturday, Williams is glad to have a chance to earn a spot in the NFL.

"Coming to Utah as a walk-on, I like to have to work for what I get," he said. "I wanted to go somewhere that fit me and wanted me. I think it worked out for the best."

Williams, a 6-foot, 243-pound fullback is continuing his career with the Oakland Raiders, joining former Utes 4th-round draft pick Keith McGill, fellow free agent Jake Murphy and lineman Tony Bergstrom. Like in his college career, he'll be an underdog to make the final roster.

But also like in his college career, he'll have a chance.

"I'm blessed to be one of the former walk-ons who are going to the NFL this year," he said. "To be a part of that group of guys is special. No one gave me a chance."

One man who has always supported and believed in Williams: his father, David Williams. When Karl announced he was headed to the Raiders, his dad immediately called up Karl's uncle, a diehard Oakland fan.

The family had 40 to 50 people up in Layton for a draft day party. Williams said he might not get drafted, and that would be OK, even as he was wondering if he might get taken late in the afternoon.

Another possible destination would've been Atlanta, which begins camp on Monday. Oakland's camp starts a bit later, which is fine with him.

"I get to run and condition a little more, prepare my mind for next week," he said. "I'm going to be up there for at least six weeks, so I'm going to make the most of my time here with my family."

Kyle Goonkgoon@sltrib.comTwitter: @kylegoon






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus