This is an archived article that was published on in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Cache County man admitted Monday that he drove drunk and caused a car accident that killed the co-owner of a Logan coffee company.

Alvin Blaine Henson, 40, of Millville, pleaded guilty to second-degree felony automobile homicide in connection with the April death of Randy Wirth, according to Cache County Attorney James Swink.

Two misdemeanors charges related to being an alcohol restricted driver and not having a DUI interlock system in the car Henson was driving were dismissed in exchange for his guilty plea, Swink said.

"A life was taken, so there was no movement on the [felony] charge," Swink said in regards to settlement negotiations. "He did something terribly wrong. It was a tragedy for the family and the community, so the second-degree felony was non-negotiable. We're glad he has taken some responsibility."

Henson faces up to 15 years in prison when sentenced on June 30.

Wirth, 67 — who co-owned Caffe Ibis Coffee Roasting Co. in downtown Logan with wife, Sally Sears — suffered fatal injuries in the April 10 crash and died two days later.

Police believe that just after 7:30 p.m. on April 10, Henson was driving a pickup truck east on 200 South in Millville. Witnesses described his driving as erratic, according Cache County sheriff's authorities.

Henson's truck crossed into the westbound lanes and hit a Cadillac DeVille near 140 West. Somehow, Wirth — who was driving a motorcycle — was also struck during the accident, according to authorities.

Wirth was taken in an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital. A helicopter then flew him to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, where he later died.

Deputies who responded to the crash immediately recognized evidence of alcohol use with both Henson and his 29-year-old passenger, according to police. The two had suffered minor injuries and were taken to Logan Regional Hospital.

Henson had previously pleaded guilty in January 2013 to a DUI, and was sentenced to 12 months probation and two days in jail.

Twitter: @jm_miller

comments powered by Disqus