Home » News
Home » News

Son charged after his mom survives attack

Published May 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Crime • It took several Taser shocks to stop the ax-wielding man, police say.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Kearns man was charged with trying to kill his mother after allegedly stabbing her and cutting her neck.

The 39-year-old man was charged in 3rd District Court on Friday with attempted murder, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated burglary, all first-degree felonies. He was also charged with assault against a police officer, a second-degree felony.

His 60-year-old mother survived, despite suffering 15 stab wounds and a cut across her neck, according to the charges.

The morning of May 16, the man entered his mother's garage as she opened the garage door from inside, even though she previously told him he was not allowed to come over, according to the charges. He then closed the garage door and started stabbing his mother, the charges add.

During the course of the attack, he also hit his mother in the head with a hammer, threatened to cut her head off with an ax, wrapped her head and mouth in duct tape and told her that he wanted her to die and he would not let her leave, according to the charges. The woman would try to open the garage door, but he would stab her each time, the charges add.

Unified Police officers received their first 911 call reporting a domestic disturbance at the address, near 5500 S. 5700 West, about 8:45 a.m. Officers spotted the man holding an ax inside the open garage.

The officers repeatedly ordered the man to drop the ax and surrender, but he refused the commands.

"He ended up being Tased several times in order to be taken into custody," UPD Detective Jared Richardson said at the time of the arrest.

After subduing the suspect, officers entered the home and found the injured woman, who was taken to the hospital and later reported to be in fair condition.

The man was also taken to a hospital for removal of Taser prongs and a mental health evaluation.


Twitter: @mikeypanda




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus