This is an archived article that was published on in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Haven • A wanted fugitive who barricaded himself inside a West Haven auto body shop was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon when he pointed a gun at SWAT officers after negotiations broke down, the Weber County Sheriff's Office reported.

Kristopher Chase Simmons, 35, was shot by two officers and died after being transported to Ogden Regional Medical Center, said sheriff's Sgt. Lane Findlay.

The fatal episode occurred about 3 p.m. after Weber County SWAT officers and Ogden police officers had been negotiating with Simmons for more than four hours.

Officials had earlier said Simmons, who recently had a Roy address, was considered "armed and dangerous."

Findlay said the suspect, wanted on several drug-related and evading police felony warrants, was initially located at the auto body shop, near 1900 S. 1100 West in West Haven, at about 10:30 a.m.

When approached by Ogden detectives, Simmons and a female with him both fled into the shop. Simmons barricaded himself in a car, Findlay said.

When negotiations broke down, SWAT officers went into the building, he said.

"Simmons pointed a gun at the officers and two of them returned fire, wounding Simmons," Findlay wrote in a press statement Wednesday night.

No one else was injured. Findlay said Wednesday evening that the woman was not found inside the building. Police were looking for her, but did not know her identity or her role in the stand-off.

Utah court records show Simmons was facing a warrant on a felony charge for failing to stop at the command of police, as well as misdemeanor violations of motor vehicle laws.

He pleaded guilty in 2011 to third-degree felony possession of a controlled substance and a misdemeanor for giving a false personal identity to a police officer. In 2010, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and giving false personal identity to police.

Findlay confirmed that Simmons was not the suspect being sought in a homicide case where a dead man was found inside a storage unit at an Ogden industrial park on May 29.

The Tribune will update this story as more details are released.

comments powered by Disqus