This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
The Ogden fire marshal has determined that discarded cigarettes sparked two separate fires at an apartment complex, one of which killed a dog.
The first fire broke out Sunday at The Gate at Canyon Ridge, which used to be called Canyon Cove Apartments until a new owner bought the complex.
Early Wednesday, another fire started in a different building in the complex at 1413 Canyon Cove.
The city fire marshal found that in both cases, someone improperly discarded a cigarette, said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman. The city estimates the damage from both fires at $250,000.
The Sunday fire extensively damaged the third floor and the west-end units on the first and second floors of a different building. No injuries were reported in that blaze.
A dog died in the Wednesday fire, while four people were treated at the scene for minor medical issues, the fire department said.