Fireworks likely contributed to a two-alarm house fire in an east Salt Lake City neighborhood.
The fire started about 11 p.m. Saturday in the backyard of a two-story home at 336 S. 1200 East, spreading to a shed and deck before reaching the house, said fire department spokesman Jasen Asay. When firefighters arrived, the house was burning with flames climbing the stories until they reached the attic.
The home's two occupants were already outside when firefighters arrived but the responders checked the house to make sure it was clear anyway, Asay said. Inside, they found a large white birdcage with two avian occupants and rescued both birds.