Home » News
Home » News

Salt Lake City police shooting investigation could take 2-3 weeks

Published August 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Probe • Victim was unarmed when police confronted him, brother says.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

It could be several weeks before investigators probing Salt Lake City police officers' fatal shooting of a 20-year-old man present their findings to prosecutors, police said Friday.

"The only thing new I can tell you is that our investigators are optimistic that they will have a case ready for review by the [Salt Lake County] district attorney's office in the next two to three weeks," South Salt Lake police Sgt. Darin Sweeten told The Tribune.

Dillon Taylor was shot by police Monday night outside a 7-Eleven store at 2102 S. State St. The officers involved were responding to a report of a man brandishing a handgun in the area of the store.

The South Salt Lake police department, which is investigating the incident, has declined to say whether a weapon was found, or what actions by Taylor — verbal or physical — were deemed threatening enough for police to fire at least twice.

Meanwhile, Jerrail Taylor insists his brother did not have a handgun on him.

Jerrail Taylor said he, his brother and a cousin had just gotten drinks at the 7-Eleven when the officers, guns drawn, confronted them.

Dillon Taylor initially didn't hear the officers' demands to get down on the ground with his hands on his head, Jerrail Taylor said, because he was wearing headphones.

Witnesses gave conflicting accounts of whether Dillon Taylor reached toward his waistband or, as his brother claimed, was just adjusting his pants.

Sweeten has said Dillon Taylor reportedly was "belligerent" toward officers. He has declined to further detail the nature of that alleged attitude.

Court documents show a $25,000 arrest warrant had been issued Aug. 7 for Taylor, alleging he had violated his probation on earlier felony robbery and obstructing justice charges.







Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus