Home » News
Home » News

Unified policeman cleared in Taylorsville shooting

Published August 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Crime • The man pointed a gun at cops and said, "Just shoot me," according to district attorney's office.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office has cleared a Unified Police officer of shooting and wounding a man earlier this month.

On Aug. 1, Unified Police Chief Tracy Wyant shot Jared Roskelley, 31, after he had pointed a .40 caliber Glock at Wyant and another officer, according to the district attorney's decision clearing Wyant.

A third officer later overheard Roskelley, while he was being treated at the hospital, say that he "didn't want to hurt anyone. I just pointed the gun at them so they would shoot me," according to the decision.

"Chief Wyant reasonably believed that deadly force was necessary to defend himself and/or others because Roskelley unlawfully threatened him and others with death or serious bodily injury," so his use of deadly force was justified, the decision concludes.

That morning, Roskelley's mother had called 911 to report that he was on drugs, had a gun and — outside — had fired toward the home, at 5514 S. Ridgecrest Drive (3400 West) in Taylorsville, according to the decision.

Wyant, who was nearby and heard the radio traffic, drove to the home and arrived about the same time as another Unified Police officer, Shane Chandler. As Wyant and Chandler walked toward Roskelley, he yelled to his mother: "You called the police?" according to the decision.

Wyant and Chandler saw Roskelley had a gun in a shoulder holster. The officers commanded Roskelley several times to put his hands up, to which Roskelley replied: "Just shoot me," the decision adds.

"Roskelley reached for his gun, withdrew the gun from the holster and began to turn the gun toward the officers," the decision reads. That's when Wyant shot Roskelley, who fell to the ground.

Wyant, Chandler and other UPD officers rendered first aid until medical responders arrived and took the man to the hospital in serious condition. Roskelley survived.

Investigators recovered Roskelley's semi-automatic handgun, which had a full magazine and a .40 caliber round chambered in the weapon, according to the decision.

Wyant was placed on administrative leave pending the district attorney's decision, which is customary after an officer fires his or her weapon.


Twitter: @mikeypanda




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus